Summer Abroad Programs
Below are some summer abroad study programs in which students have participated*. Keep in mind that many of these sites will not have yet posted the information for the year in which you would be participating. You aren’t limited to the list below–explore until you find something that interests you! Students are responsible for researching and following the application and admission procedures, as well as obtaining any necessary travel documents.
Click here to learn more about eligibility requirements to study elsewhere.
*McMaster is not affiliated with any particular institutions or programs through which students may complete independent course work. Students are responsible for being aware of and following the policies, procedures, and regulations of the host school, as well as any travel advice and advisories issued by the Government of Canada.
Ontario Universities International
Consortium agreements through OUI offer culture and language programs in China, France, and Germany throughout the summer. Many of these agreements include scholarship funding. Click here to learn more.
McMaster is a member of Universitas 21, giving students the opportunity to study for credit at other partnered institutions. Each year, one featured school will provide a scholarship for student(s) to study at their school. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- University of Vienna International Summer Program
A selection of European Studies (politics, history, economics, culture) as well as German language courses.
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong’s International Summer School (Hong Kong)
A variety of classes are offered in Chinese language and culture.
- Aarhus Summer University
Courses offered in English including communication,multimedia, and culture. (Available as part of formal exchange program)
- Université Catholique de Lille European Summer Program
Courses taught in English on French arts, culture, politics, business, and communications. French language courses are also offered.
- DAAD German Summer School Database
A number of summer schools offering courses in German language and many other subjects taught in English.
- University of Tuebingen International and European Studies Summer Program
No German required. Courses on European politics, law, history, business, and communications.
- National University of Ireland: International Seminar & Summer School (Galway)
Offers a range of courses in Irish Studies, Education in Ireland, Irish Language, Geology, Ecology, Archaeology and Play Therapy.
- Queens University of Belfast International Summer School
Two interdisciplinary programs in Irish Studies or Conflict Transformation.
- The University of Bologna Summer School of Italian Language and Culture
Italian language and culture.
- Studio Art Centers International, Florence (SACI) (credit transfer through Bowling Green State University)
Art and art history courses.
- University of Trento Summer International Program (available as part of the formal exchange program)
- Seinan Gakuin University Intensive Japanese Language Program
This program offers students an opportunity to experience Japan and the Japanese language.
- University Oslo International Summer School (Oslo)
Courses in a range of subjects are offered including Norwegian culture, society, and language.
- School of Russian and Asian Studies
Various summer language programs available at different Russian universities. Read about the experience of Humanities student, Jennifer Taylor (pictured above), who studied at St. Petersberg in Summer 2011 through SRAS here.
- Autonomous University of Barcelona
Spanish language courses at all levels
- University of Zaragoza Summer Spanish Courses
Spanish language courses at all levels. Taught at the University’s summer school in Jaca in the Pyrenees.
- Malaga University Summer Spanish Language & Culture Courses
Spanish language courses at all levels. Upper level language classes will have special Spanish cultural classes that include areas of literature, history, cinema, art, physical and political geography, economy, society, and politics.
- University of Leeds International Summer School
Courses include music, history, business, English
- Middlesex University (London)
A variety of summer courses are offered in the arts, film, languages, law, politics,psychology and writing.
- Kingston University (London)
Offers a variety of different summer school classes in British art and architecture, culture and society, creative writing, theatre, literature, and more.
- London School of Economics and Political Science (London)
Courses offered within the following areas of study: accounting and finance, economics, international relations, law, and management.
- Queen’s University International Study Centre (Sussex)
Courses in a wide range of subjects in the arts and sciences.
- Scottish Universities’ International Summer School [SUISSE] (Edinburgh)
Based at the University of Edinburgh, courses are offered on such topics as British, Scottish, and Irish literature, along with creative writing.
United States of America
- New York University
Regular undergraduate courses from many disciplines.