The Explore Program gives students the chance to study French in a five-week immersion environment at different locations around Canada. A government bursary means that almost all costs are covered (including tuition and living expenses). Selection is through a lottery system, and to be eligible, students must:
- be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- have been registered for at least 12 units for at least one term during the current academic year.
It is possible to get elective transfer credit for some courses that are offered through the Explore program. If you wish to do this, you should apply for courses at institutions that offer university credit.
You must speak with an academic advisor prior to applying to ensure that your particular course is appropriate for transfer credit. If awarded, transfer credit is usually given as 6 units of unspecified Level 1 or Level 2 French. Some conditions apply:
- Explore credits cannot be used to meet French degree program requirements. Students registered in a French program can receive up to six units of elective transfer credit for eligible Explore courses only.
- Students who are not in a French program can use a maximum of 12 units of transfer credit from eligible Explore courses (if they are able to participate in the program for more than one year) to meet elective requirements.
- A maximum of six units of transfer credit from an eligible Explore course (must be assessed as Level 2 French) can be applied towards a French Minor.
Some universities offering Explore courses which can be considered for transfer credit are below:
- Université Laval
- Trois-Pistoles French Immersion School (University of Western Ontario)
- Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières
- Université du Québec à Chicoutimi
- Université Sainte-Anne
- Université de Moncton
- Université de Sherbrooke
- Université de Montréal
Once accepted onto an Explore program, Humanities students should email Jenna Gloazzo to discuss their potential participation. (Students from other faculties must speak with their own Faculty Office.)
The Explore application deadline for Summer 2019 is February 15, 2019.
To apply, visit the Explore website: www.myexplore.ca/en